Priority lead: Paul Keasey
Superintendent, Gloucestershire Constabulary
What are the key requirements for the safer cyber priority?
- To ensure Gloucestershire is safer as people, commerce and other organisations increasingly live, trade and work on-line
- It underpins personal safety, economic growth and prosperity, in urban and rural environments, by supporting people of all ages, organisations and businesses
How priority lead Paul Keasey is going to deliver the safer cyber priority
This is a brief introduction into how work is developing under ‘Safer Cyber’ and if you want more detail, you can find it in what we call the Delivery Plan here.
It is my responsibility to see that the aim of the ‘Safer Cyber’ priority is delivered. With an ever increasing digitally connected and reliant society, those who would seek to cause distress or harm to others turn to the internet as a mechanism to commit crimes. Whether it takes the form of abusive behaviour using social media, ransomware or any other form of cybercrime, we are fully committed to combating the problem and making Gloucestershire a safer place to live, work and do business with in this era of rapid technological growth.
Like the work being done in the name of the other priorities, this is an ongoing process and there have been some significant improvements in some areas such as:
- enhanced specialist capabilities for tackling cyber crime
- strong collaboration with industry to help keep abreast of emerging threats
- effective engagement with the communities we serve around harm reduction and education
- strong links with academia for research and education purposes
Further improvements are ongoing with routine review, ensuring that actions undertaken provide the best possible protection against emerging cyber threats, with others are expected within the four years of the Police and Crime Plan.
Gloucestershire Safer Cyber forum
Gloucestershire Safer Cyber Forum (GSCF) was established in 2015 by Gloucestershire Constabulary in order to provide a medium for both public Cyber Safety advice and for local businesses to discuss Cyber concerns in a private fashion.