Gloucestershire’s Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner is appealing for volunteers, as applications to become Independent Custody Visitors (ICVs) re-open to the public. The role offers the chance for to check on the welfare of detainees during their time in Gloucestershire’s custody suites.
What are ICVs?
ICVs are volunteers who are fully trained to carry out unannounced visits to custody suites in the county. The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) provides full training, support and mentors to new volunteers involved in the scheme.
Gloucestershire PCC Martin Surl said: “Independent Custody Volunteers (ICVs) are crucial to the welfare of prisoners and help me in my role of holding the Constabulary to account.
“It is also has the potential to be a fantastic opportunity for those who have a related interest such as criminology or public service students as it gives ‘hands-on’ experience and can add great value to a CV”.
What does an ICV do?
ICV responsibilities include:
- Carrying out custody visits to Custody Unit in Quedgeley, Gloucester.
- Checking on detainee conditions: health, wellbeing, legal rights and entitlement
- Bringing attention to the Custody Officer of any concerns/requests arising from the visit and any issues that need to be dealt with.
- Contributing towards improving how the scheme is delivered.
How can I apply?
In March, applications to become ICVs reopened in Gloucestershire and the deadline for applications is Tuesday 31 March 2020.
To become a visitor you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Must be over 18
- Have a good understanding of the English language
- Happy to work as a volunteer, only receiving out-of-pocket expenses related to the role
- Must not be Justices of the Peace (JPs), serving police officers or civilian employees; members of staff from OPCCs or special constables
- Applications are checked for any other conflicts of interest for people working in other areas of the criminal justice system, such as solicitors or probation service
Applicants are asked to email email@example.com to register their interest.