Independent Custody Visitors are volunteers who are fully trained to carry out unannounced visits to custody suites in the county. The OPCC provides full training, support and mentors to new volunteers involved in the scheme.
To become a visitor you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Must be over 18
- Have a good understanding of the English language
- Happy to work as a volunteer, only receiving out of pocket expenses related to the role
- Must not be Justices of the Peace (JPs), serving police officers or civilian employees; members of staff from OPCCs or special constables
- Applications are checked for any other conflicts of interest for people working in other areas of the criminal justice system, such as solicitors or probation service
Applications are currently on hold, but you can be added to the waiting list for when a role becomes available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Independent Custody Visitors and Appropriate Adults
Independent Custody Visitors cannot also hold the role as an Appropriate Adult in Gloucestershire. This is due to a conflict of interests in the two roles, as custody visitors may, on occasion, have cause to give critical feedback regarding the provision of appropriate adult services in the area they visit. However, there are exceptions when an Independent Custody Visitor can act as an Appropriate Adult, these are:
* when they are the parent or guardian of a child;
*if they are a relative, guardian or in a position of responsibility for a vulnerable adult.
Applications are currently on hold, however, if you wish to apply you can be added to the waiting list. Please email email@example.com for any further information.
Download our guides for more information about the role: